The Bavarian Bierhaus resides on a landmark Milwaukee property developed by the United Bavarian Societies, later renamed the United German Societies (UGS). UGS were comprised of the following five Milwaukee German social, dance, and athletic clubs: B.G.T.V. D'lusting'n Wendlstoana, Sueddeutscher Volkstrachten Erhaltungs Verein D'oberlandler, Bayerischer Vergnungungs Club, Gesangverein Bavaria, and Bavarian Soccer Club. In 1934, UGS leased land that includes the property now occupied by the Bavarian Bierhaus.
The original Bavarian property spanned from Port Washington Road to the Milwaukee River. For ten years UGS leased the property and in 1944 they purchased the land and the clubhouse that fronted Port Washington Road. In the mid 1960's, UGS sold a portion of the property close to Port Washington Road to a hotel chain. With that money, UGS designed and built the Bavarian Inn. In the 1980's, the expansion of Interstate 43 resulted in the loss of additional land on the east side of the Bavarian Inn property and a reconfiguration of the soccer fields, leaving the approximately 15 acres occupied by the Bavarian Bierhaus and Bavarian Soccer Club today.
For many years the Bavarian Inn served as a focal point of German culture in Milwaukee. The Bavarian Soccer Club was and is one of the premier soccer clubs in Wisconsin, with six national titles to its name. The Oktoberfest event held every year in Heidelberg Park for more than fifty years is the longest running Oktoberfest celebration in Milwaukee. Before the current festival hall was built in Heidelberg Park, UGS erected an old circus tent every year to house the Oktoberfest festivities. In those days, heavy rain would cause Oktoberfest to became a very muddy affair. Over the years, the Bavarian Inn was the place for countless festivals, weddings, parties, company picnics, and memories. Heartbreakingly, the Bavarian Inn closed its doors to the public in 2011.
In 2011, the bank holding the mortgage on the Bavarian Inn property decided to foreclose. Worried about losing the home of the Bavarian Soccer Club, a group of soccer club members and parents formed Friends of BSC to purchase the property. The plan was to lease the property to the Bavarian Soccer Club and find a new restaurant operator for the Bavarian Inn. Finding a restaurant operator proved to be challenging. Ultimately, a group of local investors and two experienced operators of German style brewpubs decided to open an independent German restaurant and brewery. The existing building required extensive renovation and repairs, and the brewery was a completely new addition. Construction commenced in October, 2015 and the new restaurant and brewery opened in April, 2016.
Thus, was born the Bavarian Bierhaus. For those who remember the old Bavarian Inn, the Bavarian Bierhaus will seem completely new and yet will feel very familiar. We have been told by native Germans that walking into our beer hall feels like walking into a beer hall in the heart of Bavaria. Rich woods, natural light, live music and a gorgeous mural of the City of Munich bring the beer hall to life with our magnificent brewery as the backdrop. These are only some of the many elements that make the Bavarian Bierhaus special.
Our focus is always on quality, whether we are talking about the beer, food or service. We want to always be inviting and provide our guests with an enjoyable and memorable drinking and dining experience. Please join us and become part of our story.